This park lies about 120km northwest of Arusha. 60% of this park’s total area of 330sq km is covered by the lake. The remaining 40% (or 132 sq km) is a forest harbouring over 350 species of birds and an array of mammals such as elephants, giraffes, hippos, Blue monkeys, impala, lions and leopards to name a few. The forest at Lake Manyara is always green due to ground water that finds its way from the Ngorongoro highlands. It is for this reason Lake Manyara park is a good starting point for a broader safari in the Northern Circuit.
How to get to Lake Manyara National Park: 2 hours drive on paved roads.
What to do: Game drives (day and night), balloon rides, bird watching, visiting the hot springs, walking/biking along the Rift Valley and taking a cultural tourism program at Mto wa mbu.
Where to stay: There are a number of options in and around the area to any budget. We recommend:
When to go: Year around although some exceptions apply in the event of extreme weather conditions. Please check with your safari consultant on updated advice.
Experiencing Lake Manyara National Park: This park forms “a starter” for most safari itineraries in the Northern Circuit. Due to its close proximity to Arusha, day visits to this park can be arranged. Ask us for ideas and an itinerary.